Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Chicken Fajitas with Homemade Seasoning

I don't know about you guys but we love some Mexican around here.  About a year or so ago, I started making our own taco seasoning to avoid the preservatives in the packaged kind.  It's very easy and so tasty!  I may do a different post with some other seasoning mixes I've done but for now, I'm going to share my fajita seasoning mix and my recipe for chicken fajitas.  I'm really not much of an artist when it comes to cooking but this is a recipe that is my own.  I used a few recipes on Pinterest as a foundation and tweaked it to our liking.  It's super simple and very yummy.  The prep--cutting the vegetables and chicken--takes the most time.  Everything else is very quick!

First, mix up your fajita seasoning.  This makes enough for more than one batch (for lack of a better term) so I mix it all up and store it in a mason jar.

Fajita Seasoning

2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4-1/2 tsp salt





Fajitas

1 to 1 1/2 lb. chicken, in strips
1 large onion, diced or sliced
2-3 bell peppers of varying colors, in strips
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil
approx. 1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp (or more, to taste) fajita seasoning mix


Prep all your vegetables and chicken.




Place oil in skillet (or wok) on stovetop on medium-high heat.  Cook chicken and vegetables until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender crisp, stirring frequently.  I like to add the mushrooms a little later than the onion and peppers because they tend to cook a little faster.



Add water and seasoning mix and stir everything together well.  Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes (so the meat and veggies can soak up all the yummy spices).


I like to heat our tortilla shells on a plate covered with plastic wrap in the microwave for 30 seconds.


Serve with cheese, salsa, sour cream (or substitute plain Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative), avocado, etc.



Make your family smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment