Thursday, December 5, 2013

28 Down, 12 to Go!

This past week has been pretty status quo with book-ends of events worth sharing here on the blog.  First, I will tell you all about my first Thanksgiving as a hostess.  Then, I will tell you about my 28 week check-up that I had today!

Last Thursday, we (the Bean and I) hosted his Mom, Dad, sisters, Jessica and Robin, Robin's husband, Josh, and their two kids, Hazel and Virgil at our house for Thanksgiving.  It was tons of fun and a lot less stressful than I thought it would be!  The night before definitely wore me out because I crammed a bunch of baking, cleaning and organizing into just a few hours (I had to work the previous 2 nights), but the day itself was quite relaxing!  Everyone came over around 10:30am and Jeff's sisters brought breakfast which was awesome!  Jess made a yummy egg casserole dish and Robin made homemade cinnamon rolls!  YUM!  After that, we just lounged around for the majority of the day (with the exception of Jeff's Dad who is a rockstar and did most of the cooking).  Jess & Robin both brought snacks so we wouldn't have to worry about lunch & such.  We noshed on chips & salsa and a buffalo chicken dip that Jess made and veggies and hummus that Robin contributed.  Once the oven was free, I got to work on my dishes which included green bean casserole, roasted carrots, and mashed potatoes.  (I baked the pumpkin pies & made the chocolate pudding pie the night before).  In addition to the things I made, we had turkey, stuffing, gravy, turnips (not me), corn, cranberry sauce and rolls.  Robin made this super yummy cinnamon honey butter that we spread on the rolls.  I was very proud of my table decor and overall, super pleased with how everything went!  Here are a few pics:












Today, I went to New Life Birth Center for the first time and had my 28 week check-up.  This included a glucose screening which was not bad at all.  I think that's mostly because my midwife just has her clients bring in their own drink with 50gm of sugar (and no additional protein, carbohydrates, or fats).  I drank two little boxes of Orange Hi-C and it was yummy!  At first, my midwife wanted me to fast but when I questioned whether it was really necessary, she decided to let me do what I felt was best.  I didn't want to have to go so long without eating and have to drive so far (3 hours round trip).  I was really afraid I would hit a wall on my drive home.  I ate a high protein breakfast and drank lots of water and arrived for my appointment around 12:30pm.  I drank the Hi-C right away and then, we did other check-up stuff for the hour while we waited to check my glucose.  I've been trying really hard the last few days to eat better and, in my opinion, have been quite successful.  I don't want to stress too much over it (which I have been) or beat myself up if I slip up every now & then and eat more sweets than I should, etc., but I want to try to eat a better diet overall to set myself up for success to have the healthiest pregnancy, delivery and baby possible.  That's all I'm going to say about that for now.  I will go ahead & leave you with my bump and weekly stats!


How far along?  28 weeks

Baby is the size of a: large eggplant

Maternity clothes?  Yes and no!  The shirt I'm wearing in the picture above was a steal at Old Navy on Black Friday and it's not maternity.  I did buy three new maternity tops today at Kohl's.  I probably spent too much but I really need more shirts that I can wear with leggings.  I think they'll be cute to wear at my baby showers!

Symptoms:  Nothing new this week; indigestion, reflux, and bloating; increased thirst, hunger and urination; forgetfulness and clumsiness; expanding belly (see above pic); some carpal tunnel and other joint pain; and that's all I can think of right now!

Sleep:  Still pretty good for the most part!  The cold weather and subsequent dry heat is still taking its toll on my sinuses, etc., but I keep water by the bed and run my warm mist vaporizer to try to help with those things.

Best moment this week:  Getting lots of baby preparations under way (see below)...

Miss anything?  I miss being able to eat anything I want to knowing that the only person it will harm is me (not the little one growing inside me)!

Number of times I get up to pee each night:  Approximately 2.

Food cravings:  Sweet stuff!  Especially since I've really been trying to limit it this week!  I've had really good self-control and I am very proud of myself!

Anything making you queasy or sick?  Not really!

Movement:  Oh my goodness!  I think she is moving almost constantly!  Jeff said she's kicked him while we cuddle at night a couple times this week.  I can feel actual body parts all the time now and it is the coolest thing!  There's an actual baby in there!

Stretch marks?  Nope!

Belly button - in or out?  Pretty much flat at this point, not in or out!

Wedding rings - on or off?  Still on!  I really haven't had any swelling at all yet (knock on wood)!

Mood:  Definitely having more mood swings but this week has been better than last.  All my meltdowns involved food this week...Jeff says I get "hangry."

Looking forward to:  my baby showers and doing more baby prep.

Baby preparations:  I finally purchased a crib and changing table this week!  We also went and looked at paint swatches and I plan to order some samples very soon.  I am also hunting diligently for a dresser and glider/rocker for the nursery.  I have been bad this week and bought a few little outfits and other things that we will probably receive a lot of as gifts but I just couldn't help myself with all the sales.  I'm so excited to get some tangible work done on the nursery!

What the baby is up to this week according to babycenter.com:  By this week, your baby weighs 2 1/4 pounds (about the size of a large eggplant) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

Oh, how I love this little one already!  We can't wait to meet you AppleSeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment