Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Bird is 12 Weeks Pregnant!

I know it's only been 3 days since I introduced this blog and my pregnancy but I have SO much to share so I am pushing myself to write another post and attempting to organize everything I want to convey in a succinct, appealing way!

First, I'll share with you how I announced my pregnancy to my family.  It was Thursday, July 25 and I was 9 weeks pregnant.  My brother was coming to visit from Nashville and it was the perfect excuse for our family (minus one sister) to get together at my house.  I went to my very first OB appointment that morning and had an ultrasound.  This is when we first got to see our little gummy bear.  We had to tell my Mom a little white lie to explain where we were disappearing to for a couple hours and told her we were going to the dentist.  My brother wasn’t going to get into town until pretty late that night and I was a little worried about everything coming together.  Jeff and I went with my sister and her family to a Lynchburg Hillcats baseball game and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect.  My brother got into town at almost exactly the same time that the game was ending (well, it wasn’t technically over because it was tied and they were going into extra innings, but we left anyways).  I couldn’t wait any longer; I was just so excited to tell my Mom & brother that I was pregnant!  When we arrived home, I set up the cupcakes I had baked earlier that day complete with decorative owl liners, owl picks, and banner..."Guess whooo's pregnant?" :)


And here is the wonderful video of their reaction to the message in the picture above:
(The password is "baby")



Now for this week's update... I went to an appointment Monday to meet with the midwife and have my first examination.  I did all the standard stuff, chatted with the midwife, and when it was time for her to try and find the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler, AppleSeed was playing a little game of hide and seek.  I wasn't really worried because I had just read that it is not uncommon at this point in pregnancy to not be able to hear the heartbeat (usually because baby is hiding behind the placenta), but the midwife said she would have Amy, the ultrasound tech, do a quick ultrasound before I headed out just to make sure everything was alright.  I was certainly fine with that idea because it meant catching another glimpse of my little AppleSeed :)  Here he/she is.



And here is my 12-week "bump" (I think my belly was bigger last week, hehe).


Last but not least, some info. on mama and baby :)

How far along? 12 weeks

Baby is the size of a:  lime

Maternity clothes? Nope!

Symptoms: Still having occasional “morning sickness” though it is much better than a few weeks ago, fatigue, frequent urination and tension headaches.

Sleep: Poor to fair.  Weird dreams, frequent urination, and headaches.

Best moment this week: Having a surprise ultrasound at my OB appointment on Monday and announcing our pregnancy on Facebook!  Yay!

Miss Anything? Not really!

Number of times I get up to pee each night: Averaging 2 right now.

Food cravings: I really haven’t had any cravings that I didn’t have before I was pregnant (ice cream).  I have a lot more aversions than cravings right now, unfortunately!

Anything making you queasy or sick:  Nothing in particular.  I have noticed that I am really sensitive to a lot of smells right now and it doesn’t take much to make me feel queasy (but I haven’t been able to pinpoint anything specifically).

Have you started to show yet? Maybe ever so slightly…it’s probably just my pudgy tummy, though, hehe.

Gender: Not a clue!

Mood: Crying at almost everything, easily cranky, the usual!

Looking forward to:  The “morning sickness” going away soon *fingers crossed*, starting to show, and everyone knowing that we’re pregnant!

What the baby is up to this week according to Babycenter.com:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.


Psalm 139:13-16
"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb.  I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.  My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.  And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment