Friday, September 13, 2013

16 Weeks!


The past week has gone fairly well.  It was a pretty busy one with my first clinical of the semester last weekend (8 hour evening shifts on Saturday & Sunday).

I had my 16 week OB appointment on Monday and it was super quick because everything looked good.  I'm still having mixed feelings about my practitioner and I'm trying to make some difficult decisions in the next few weeks regarding that.  I go to an all midwife practice.  It is one of the two main options for OB/GYN services here in Lynchburg.  I chose it because it is midwives and I much prefer that since I am very interested in natural childbirth and all that entails.  But...to me, it feels very similar to a regular OB office.  All the scheduling is very regimented.  The midwife didn't spend very much time talking with me at all.  She seemed rushed.  It is also several midwives which means I could have any of them assist in the delivery of my baby when the time comes but I've only met one so far.  My plan for now is to call and reschedule my next appointment (20 weeks) with a different midwife, if possible, and then talk extensively with her or the nurse about natural childbirth and some of the other concerns I'm having.  I am also planning to meet with a doula who has been established in this area for several years in the next few weeks and see what she thinks. 

Jeff had LASIK on Tuesday and I had the pleasure of taking care of him as he recovered (it was a quick recovery, though).  He stayed home on Wednesday, too, and I really enjoyed the extra time we got to spend with each other.  Now, he's back to work and I miss him already.  

I worked an extra 8 hour shift at UVa on Wednesday night and yesterday was just such a lazy afternoon/evening that I didn't get around to taking a baby bump picture.  I work three 12 hour shifts this weekend starting tonight and I can't say I'm looking forward to it!  My life is about to get super busy with clinicals and grading and working and baby stuff that I'm certain the next couple months are just going to fly by!

Here's my bump as of today!


How far along?  16 weeks

Baby is the size of an:  avocado.

Maternity clothes? Not quite yet (I have a feeling it will happen very soon, though)!

Symptoms:  Increased appetite, indigestion, gagging, bloating (are you seeing a pattern here?  Let's just say I'm having a lot of GI symptoms typically related to pregnancy)!  Otherwise, round ligament pain is the only other thing I can think of!

Sleep:  Pretty much the same as pre-pregnancy right now.

Best moment this week:  Getting to hear baby's heartbeat at my OB appointment this past Monday.

Worst moment this week:  Finding out that I have to wait until 21 weeks to find out the gender.

Miss Anything?  I really can't think of anything new this week!  I'm content in my pregnant state.

Number of times I get up to pee each night:  1-2

Food cravings:  Chick-Fil-A again (nuggets and fries) and a new one for this week was supreme pizza from Pizza Hut.

Anything making you queasy or sick:  Opening the refrigerator (either here at home or at work) seems to do it 90% of the time.

Have you started to show yet? For the most part, yes!  I think my belly really "popped" this week.

Mood:  Pretty good for the most part!

Looking forward to: I can't really think of anything in the short-term so I'm really just looking forward to my 21 week ultrasound and finding out if it's a boy or girl!

What the baby is up to this week according to Babycenter.com:  
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.


Philippians 4:11-13  (NIV)

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment